- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 inch cake pan or stone
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
- Add the butter and process the mixture into a coarse meal.
- Add some of the milk and continue to process until the mixture just comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently knead to a smooth ball.
- Gently pat the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes until the shortcake is slightly puffed and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, but serve warm with a mound of fresh strawberries on top.
Serve with real cream on top. Simply whip up heavy whipping cream with a bit of sugar. Once the cream thickens (about 4 minutes) then pile on top of the strawberries!
Note… Once you’ve had this, you’ll never go back to those sponge cakes with store-bought whipped cream!