When you’re out shopping for groceries this week, make some plans for your Sunday gathering!
When making meals for those you love, you want some tried and true solutions. Here’s one that just might meet your needs. I found it while looking through a church cookbook from 15 years ago, that my daughter-n-love shared with me; and I think you’ll like it as much as I do!
- -1 (about 2 ½ lb.) beef chuck pot roast
- -Salt and black pepper
- -3 medium baking potatoes (about 1 lb.—unpeeled)
- -2 large carrots
- -1 large parsnip
- -2 large celery stalks
- -1 medium onion, sliced
- -2 bay leaves
- -1 tsp. dried rosemary
- -1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- -1/2 container of beef broth (about 4 ounces)
- Trim any excess fat from beef. Discard fat.
- Cut beef into serving size pieces; season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Scrub potatoes.
- Cut scrubbed potatoes into quarters.
- Cut carrots and parsnip diagonally into ¾ inch slices.
- Slice celery into 1 ½ to 2 inch pieces.
- Place potato, carrot, parsnip, celery, onion, and bay leaves in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over vegetables.
- Arrange beef over vegetables in slow cooker.
- Pour broth over beef.
- Cover slow cooker and cook pot roast on low about 8 ½ to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef to large serving platter.
- Arrange vegetables around beef on platter.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve pot roast with juices from slow cooker or with gravy is desired.
Article Written by: Debbie Harper, Ph.D.
Recipe Credit: This recipe was originally shared by Traci Leffel in the Warwick Assembly of God, Moms Group Cookbook, published and printed by Cookbook Publishers, Inc., P. O. Box 15920, Lenexa, Kansas 66285, 2004.