Every fall, my husband craves one thing… Chili! It’s one of his favorite dishes. It’s the perfect sweater weather meal and great for large gatherings! Here is what you will need to make my husband’s favorite chili:
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 1 large can of tomato sauce (29oz)
- 1 can of tomato paste (16oz)
- 1 can of corn (15.25oz)
- 1 can of black beans (15.25oz)
- 1 can of kidney beans (15.25oz)
- 1 can of chili beans (15.25oz)
- ½ finely chopped red onion
- ½ finely chopped bell pepper
- 4 tbsp of chili powder
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1lb of ground beef
- Shredded colby jack cheese
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Elbow noodles
- Fritos chips
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Sour cream
- In large pot/crockpot mix together the tomato sauce and tomato paste
- Stir in 3 tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Drain the corn, black beans, kidney beans and chili beans and add to the tomato sauce mixture.
- Stir it all together until it is evenly mixed.
*I find that chili tastes best when cooked slow. If you have a large crockpot, you can have it cooking all day, otherwise, when cooking in a large pot, cook for about 3 hours on low heat*
- 1 ½ hours before the chili is done, brown the ground beef. Mix in 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper while the beef is browning.
- While browning the beef – sauté the chopped bell pepper and onion with the olive oil in a separate pan. Only cook for a few minutes.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, drain of grease and add in your sautéed veggies. Cook and stir for only a few more minutes – just to give everything a little char.
- After the beef and veggies are mixed, add to your chili. You will want to add the beef during the last hour to avoid grease buildup.
- During the last 30 minutes, boil water and cook the noodles.
- Serve the chili over the elbow noodles or some Fritos; add cheese, scallions, and sour cream and enjoy!
Article Written By: Rachel Harper
- 5 Fall 2018 Décor Trends - September
- Travel to Greece - September
- 5 Hairstyles to Try This Summer - June
- A Simple Way to Clean Your Grout - June
- Fiesta Roll Ups - April
- Yummy Guacamole - April
- Spinach Quiche - April
- The Fragrance of Christmas - November
- Roasted Green Beans - November
- All Natural Lice Treatment - August